Hi all! This is definitely a party favorite for my friends and family. Whenever I get invited for a dinner or BBQ, this dessert is always asked for. I have had friends keep the leftover cake because they loved it so much. This recipe is super easy to make. I received the recipe from a coworker and even though it was originally a Bacardi Rum recipe, she used Sailor Jerry. I am a Sailor Jerry fan when it comes to rum so that’s the rum that I use. Of course, Bacardi Rum can be used, Captain Morgan or a cheaper brand of dark rum. I always buy a 750mL bottle of Sailor Jerry and probably about ¼ of the bottle gets used in this recipe. A 10” tube pan can be used but I always use a Bundt pan. Please leave a comment below and let me know how you liked it.
- 1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- 1 pkg yellow cake mix
- 1 small pkg instant vanilla pudding mix
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup cold water
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup dark rum
- ¼ lb butter
- ¼ cup of water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup dark rum (for more rum flavor do 1 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees (F).
- Grease the Bundt pan and then put the chopped pecans or walnuts into the bottom of the bundt pan. (I usually spray the pan with Extra Virgin Olive Oil)
- Put cake mix, pudding mix, eggs, water, oil and rum into a medium bowl and mix together. ( I usually use a hand mixer)
- Once, the cake batter is ready, pour into the bundt pan over the pecans or walnuts.
- Put the bundt pan with the cake batter into the oven and let it cook for 1 hour.
- After an hour, check to make sure the cake has been cooked by sticking a toothpick into the cake and making sure it comes out clean.
- Let cake cool.
- Put the cake on a flat surface like a plate but make sure that it has sides that go up to stop any of the glaze from flowing off the plate. (I’ve put the cake on a cake container that didn’t have sides on it and the glaze ran off the container and onto my table)
- Poke holes on the top of the cake so that the glaze can seep into the cake. (I usually skip over this step)
- Make the glaze (see below)
- Slowly pour the glaze over the cake and let the cake absorb it until all the glaze is used.
- Enjoy your rum cake!
To make the Glaze:
- Melt butter in a medium saucepan.
- Mix in the water and sugar and bring to a boil.
- Boil for 5 minutes and then remove from heat.
Gradually mix in the rum. (Make sure to keep stirring the mixture as you mix in the rum. If you just pour the rum in, it will heat up the mixture and the sugar will crystallize. It makes a mess and the glaze doesn’t mix correctly)